Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Educational Podcasts

Radio WillowWeb: Podcast about volcanoes



There are a group of young boys who put together a podcast about volcanoes. They treated it as a radio show with multiple parts including jokes, poetry and important information about volcanoes. The boys seemed to have fun sharing their knowledge and creating a radio show. It was very interesting to listen to, especially the parts that the boys created on their own, like the poetry and jokes. The boys really had to do a lot of research about volcanoes and they really learned a lot about the inner workings of the volcanoes.



ColleyCast: Podcast about space.

This podcast started out with music and several did you know questions. It was a very catchy way to start the podcast. The students then talked about galaxies, constellations and all other space things. I really enjoyed this podcast. The students knew a lot about the subjects that they had researched. The students spoke with halting voices and instead of that being a nuisance it actually made the podcast seem more realistic.


I think this would be hard to incorporate into a class, but I think it would be very beneficial to use. If we had computers and recording equipment at the school it would be easier than if the students had to do it on their own time. As a French teacher I think it would be a great way for my student to practice their spoken French. It would also be a great way to test their pronunciation. You could have them interview one another in French, or simply read a story or book in French, this could test their pronunciation (speaking) and reading of the French language. You could have students listen to one another's podcasts and this would be a great listening activity for the students. I would love to be able to implement this kind of technology in my French classes.

5 comments:

Alexis said...

This would be wonderful for you to be able to use in your French class! I never thought about using podcasts in this way.

Karen said...

I think using podcasts in a French class would be a great way to help the students learn. Too bad podcasts weren't around when I took French!

Kate said...

I agree with Karen; podcasts would've been cool to use when I had French! I never would've thought about using them to practice pronunciation. Je l'adore! I wonder if I could use podcasts to practice vocabulary words in an English class, too....

Meagan said...

I love the idea of having students practice their spoken french by doing a podcast! I never thought of using podcasts in that aspect. I think that would be very beneficial to students.

Unknown said...

I think it is a great idea to use podcasts in your french class. I will be teaching first grade and cannot really see using podcasts but they could be very beneficial to your class.